Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Green Smoothie

I've loved drinking smoothies forever. My first taste was Juice it Up's Strawberry Wave when I was young. Since then my taste has changed and I think most smoothie place's ingredients have gone downhill in quality...so I don't mind making them on my own now :) 

My palette has become more 'sophisicated' with varying ingredients. I have a general recipe that changes based on what I am in the mood for and what's in my fridge. Here's one I had a month or so ago. 


This is the breakdown:
Fruit, at least 3 kinds
Juice, just a splash and I only use not from concentrate juices
Milk or water, just a splash (regular, almond or coconut)
The green: a big handful of kale, spinach, or chard
A large scoop of ice

This particular smoothie included half an apple, a scoop of cut up melon, a kiwi, a scoop of berries, a splash of simply orange, a splash of coconut milk, a big handful of kale and lots of ice. I think the trick is making sure you add in season fruit so the flavor is good. You'd be surprised how much green you can add without even tasting it. The ice makes a huge difference, too. These smoothies get me full, give me energy and make me feel good about my day since I usually drink them for breakfast. What do you put in your green smoothie?


1 comments:

Cheyenne

We put a little agave nectar in ours! And blackberries or raspberries. :)